Sunday, August 9, 2009

Santol

Santol - wild mangosteen, sandorica




Since last month of July, I've been eating santol as plenty as my appetite could surpass.

It's in season and so abundantly available. So cheap too_ at P10 per kilo ( in our local wet market). And I'm referring to the largest variant of bangkok santol.

A kilo would be around 3-4 fruits, depending on the size. So a P50 would get you a 5 kilos with around more than a dozen of santol.

And they're so sweet, my naturally sweet tooth can't help but rejoice to this indulgence.

But this weekend at the market, I saw fewer big santol. I'm thinking, maybe the season is ending. Right now I'm considering of making sweet preserved of this fruit before its season ends.

In the past, I did the same and enjoyed the home made preserve the way I enjoy the fresh ones.


Here's my recipe that I had grabbed from the past during my primary school on my home economics and I'm using up to now.





Santol Preserve Recipe

1. blanch santol with skin for 10 mins.
2. peel
3. cut into halves and remove seeds
4. soak the meats in water for 2 - 3 days (don't fail to change water everyday)
5. on the 3dr day, remove from soaked water, blanch for 5 mins.
6. drain
7. to every 1 cup of santol meat, add 3/4 cup of sugar
8. cook to syrupy consistency
9. keep in a clean container
10. enjoy it as dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista