Sunday, August 30, 2009

loving longans

I'm a certified fruit addict. I eat fruits 24/7. Before, after, in between, with_ the three major meals of the day. I eat them in bulk.So I always go for fruit in season for practical reasons of availability and affordability.



Whether in the grocery or in my favorite wet market, I'm always on the look out for fresh fruits with mark down prices. Yet, I'm very particular to the quality of the fruit. I would always ask for pre-tasting of the item prior to my buying it.

One grocery day, I was happy to find longans in marked down price, actually buy one kilo take one kilo. I pre-tasted it and it was good.

On the way home, my older daughter ( my co-fruit addict) and I consumed the first kilo of longan. Imagine, in 30 minutes drive, nothing left but the rough barky skins of one kilo longans.
So I took home the lucky other kilo of this nutty, lychee taste like fruits.



If you haven't paid any attention to longan before_ it's a tiny round fruit, looks like our native lanzones but unlike the latter, it has rough woody skin. When peeled, it looks like a smaller version of lychee, has similar taste too only with a hint of nuttyness, just a little. It's succulent and sweet.
You could enjoy it the way it is, just peel the skin off and take the seed out. It's also a thirst-quencher when turn into a shake. Here's my home recipe:

Longan Shake

-puree 50 pcs, peeled,seeded longans
-add 2 cups crushed ice
-ready to quench your thirst

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista