Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nyonya's Sweets





They look so familiar, right? Like our local delicacies - kutsinta, sapin-sapin, empanada, puto, butchi, lumpia, etc. .


Found this cart of desserts by Nyonya Cafe House in one of the malls at Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
For 1Rm each (not bad, around less than P15, forex as of my visit last month 2011), I tried some just to know if they tasted exactly as they looked as our own desserts. Well, sorry to us but those 5 pieces that I tried with my friends_ were better, creamier and got more character.



I went out of the mall and saw these generic sweets in the street of JB. I didn't try them cos I had enough of sugar from those Nyonya's.

Upon my return in Singapore the next day. . .


. . found more sweets in the outskirts of Little India which looks were quite similar to those desserts in the prev photos in JB. Only this time, it was x2 in price cos an Sg$ is like x2 of a Malaysian Ringgit.


I tried some and well they were a lot distinctive in taste when compare to the Nyonya desserts. Little India's desserts were overly sweet and it was very hard to finish a bar without battling to gulp water in every bite. Too sugary. .even to my high level of sweet tooth-nessy.haha.

Well, if you thought you could beat me on sugar war, here are more sweets I had in my 2009 visit to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia : click this and this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista