Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ube (purple) Jam

Can you believe it_ in 2 nights it's gonna be Christmas Eve !!! panic**. . rush%%. . The Noche Buena!!! I remember when I was small, at this point my mother would already be busy in the kitchen.  The likes of leche plan, macapuno, gelatin would be by this time, in my mother's time, already in the fridge_ ready to serve! And never to forget the most tedious to prepare but one of my favorites_ the ube (purple/water/winged yam) jam.

Well, in the mommies generation I belong now, where everything is instant_ gone were those days of bicep/tricep- aching, hand mixing of ube jam until achieving the right sticky consistency. If you really want a personal touch and want it homemade, a handful help of a food processor/blender is not bad .
Me?_I had long resolved the issue of my failure to achieve my mother's ube jam. I quit doing it myself! I just buy bottled ube jam. But I make sure I get the best in town.



I buy from the Good Shepherd in Baguio City. That's why an annual, nearing Christmas day, visit to the city of pine is a must.. hehehe!! Along with the ube jam, I also buy some of my favorite preserved sweets and condiments from this convent store.



The 3 bottles limitation is easy to resolve_ after me, I send the rest of the group to buy more for my household.



While the ube jam and other regular products lane is always jampacked. .






I found myself alone in the organic section.



The annex bakeshop amused me thu' in my recent visit. Freshly baked healthy breads were selling like hotcakes. I especially liked their whole wheat pandesal. Unlike those I buy from the pugon bakery here in Manila, Good Shepherd's were surprisingly tasty and not weight-y. Just right!



The gals enjoyed Good Shepherd's original version of siopao which was kindah' uncanny. The meat fiilings were shelled in a pandesal- like bread. I took a bite and my my it was so good!!!



These mothers only want the best for their families and don't really mind the long travel to Baguio for the best ube jam on the Noche Buena table!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!

2 comments:

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista