Thursday, September 16, 2010

Halal

As we entered the province of Cotabato, predominantly Muslim populated, I had to shout out to the rest of my relatives inside the car to look outside the windows and read what I had just seen by the road_ "baboy for sale, pang lichon" ( pig for sale, good for roasted suckling pig). As we all know, pig/pork is a no no food for the Muslim, very anti-Halal. so I had to asked one of my relatives who hailed from this province, yet is a Christian herself, what was that?!!!! Remember, I was there during the height of Ramadan of this year. She said that this particular town ( which name slips my memory at this time) which we were passing by was not a 100% Muslim town. Alright.



After few kilometers, she announced that we were almost in Cotabato City. It was high noon, brother said he couldn't wait to get to the town to eat. Cousin/host suggested a stop over to a pata house, a whaat?? pata!( pig knuckles)? Take note that this area was strictly Muslim majority.








The eatery was like a turo-turo in Manila where one points and orders what he likes from the pots.














Was it only me_ all dishes seemed alike to me. One color and all in tomato sauce. The server said they were three different dishes, one was chicken and the other two were beef dishes.




I ignored the three and asked for the namesake dish_ pata. I was surprised when a soup was served. I was expecting a pata tim (pig knuckles stew) or crispy pata (crackling pig knuckles). Not bad, it was like bulalo but was not. It was more like batchoy with beef innards and beef parts including in a kare-kare dish. The soup was so hearty I didn't finish a bowl, I'm kindah not so fond of highly cholesterol-led dishes. But it was delicious okey.








Half of the place was a pizza eatery. Had I not gotten full by the hearty soup, I might want to order its Halal pizza , might be a tuna to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista