Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Original Savory, Sta. Cruz



The original Savory at Sta. Cruz, Manila says it has been there since 1950. Wasn't born yet then, but I have to admit I grew up passing this resto through decades of my life. Yet I don't remember much eating there. Maybe because we're not from this area and not even near. I only see it from the road if I got to go to Chinatown. I don't even have any recollection of the dishes there or how the carrier fried chicken dish taste. I am more of Max or Aristocrat  foodie in this category. The thing is, I worked in a bank branch nearby but I didn't have the chance to try dining here in a whole year I was assigned there.









Finally and accidentally we went in to Savory when we went to buy Chinese delicacies from this area. We were tired and hungry, so going through unfamiliar menu was a tedious task. I suggested to the group to just order the dishes we usually eat in other resto with similar food list as Savory. And hey ofcourse_ don't forget the Savory chicken!





Admittedly old but surely already held a lot of grand memories, the resto looked generically like most of the Chinese restaurants in Manila. With big round tables and red linens. Always,the question of the status of the kitchen (given that the resto is old, would the kitchen be in anyway newer) makes me reluctant to enter an old establishment as this. Yet I had no doubt about the tastefulness of the dishes, I bet they had already mastered their recipes through the long standing years in the business. Besides, they wouldn't be here for the longest time if they didn't serve the best food.



pancit
And my guess was so right. Each plate on our table was delicious. Even the simplest dish such as pancit was one of  the best I've tasted in town.



Chinese cold cuts, mine & cuzin's fave


i didn't actually taste the rest of the cold cuts plate. i only had the sea weeds and century eggs


crispy pig intestine. loveth! i would definitely come back to Savory cos of this alone!


rice was fairly good too


i also like their version of chicken feet in ? sauce


And now. . (drum roll pls.>>) the Savory Chicken_________



Savory chicken
____  sorry lah, but I didn't try it! I had too much of the pig intestine I didn't have room and appetite for the chicken. No one even raved about it in our table. I guess it's just fair to say that we're not really fried chicken people ( except for KFC & Kenny R). We don't even like Max fried chicken. Fair enough Savory?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mylene!

    Thank you featuring theOriginal Savory Resturant on your wonderful blog. We'll be sharing this to fellow Savory lovers in our official Facebook fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/theoriginalsavory. Add us up and Follow us on Twitter too (@originalsavory) for store news and updates!

    Too bad you didn't get to try the Savory chicken, maybe next time? :) hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Savory,
    sorry for the late reply. i only got the time to go through my comment section just now.
    you are welcome. and sure i'll visit your page in fb.
    til' this day I haven't tasted the chicken yet.
    thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista