Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nilupak na Saging


After almost a week , I'm still recuperating from a recent surgery. Surgical sites, still swelling with manageable pain. Meals are still stressfully soft and preferably liquid-y. Although I can't still go back to my regular activities, I'm happy that I could cook atleast one meal of the day for my family. Husband takes care of the rest. Another thing that I'm able to do now is prepare my own soft diet food. Yesterday, while my girls and hubby were enjoying their banana cue and turon, I thought I ought to enjoy some bananas too. Left were two pieces of large saging na saba (plantain). I boiled them. Peeled off. Mashed. Mixed with butter, sugar and condensed milk.



Sprinkled with grated cheese and voila_ I got nilupak na saging (mashed banana)!!! I worked from my own vague memory of nilupak na saging of my teens in my hometown. From my region it was called "niyubak". Vaguely, I remember attending some social gatherings in the province with my peers over this dish as the main call. The party was all about preparing this particular dish in bulk for everyone to enjoy. The procedures were similar to what I did (above) except we used giant mortar and pestle to pound the banana mixture. The tool is locally known as "lusong".
I'm not sure if I got the exact ingredients, maybe I missed some. Yet, my humble version of this soft banana dish had filled me up with sweet memories and nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista