Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sushi Lab

One time I was badly hit by sushi craves. Haven't I mentioned that I live in a suburb. It's not like being in Makati where everything is just few walks away. In my planet, a grocery was relatively accessible than a Japanese resto.



In the grocery, a regular one and not a Japanese specialty store, I grabbed sushi rice, kikkoman, rice vinegar, nori and wasabi paste. I was looking for a sushi rolling mat but there was none. Instead I found some sushi shaping plastic tools.  I was looking for ripe mangoes as well  cos I wanted some california maki. Again negative.
From my fridge, I found crab sticks, cream cheese and kiwis.



It was my initial sushi experiment. Excited. I thought I got lucky to buy nigiri sushi making plastic boxes instead of a rolling  mat. When I started shaping the rice, I got lost! I didn't know how to use them. The instruction was written in Japanese characters, haha. Neither, I got the patience to scroll over the internet (after all my hands were already soiled from  the rice cooking and preparing the toppings).
I almost made a pass on taking photos (that's why I only got 3 photos here) but did anyway.



Above is the photo of the results of my sushi experiment.  I made kiwi+crabstick+creamcheese toppings and partially wrapped them with nori sheets. I also made a creamy dip mixed with wasabi paste.



I made more and pack them to bring to my friend who was attending her son in the hospital. She said it was good! Hmmm, well that would be a biased comment, don't you think?
Personally thu', I think they tasted okey and could do better next time. I would have to downsize the sushi rice thu', cos that size was overly mouthful for me.
For now, I would rather not share my experimental recipe of this. Until I make it perfect next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista