Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bibingka & Tikoy

When we are on a road trip, my girls would always travel along with junk foods specifically bags of chips to munch along the hours inside the car or on stop overs.




But I, an old school lady from the province, would always seek for familiar local delicacies along the side roads.



This smokey hut has been a favorite initial stop of our provincial trips. A lot of these huts nestle along the side roads of San Pablo, Laguna which we consider as the first town outside Manila ( going South), at least to us who leave the city half asleep and would only be fully awaken at this point.



This is actually a local rice cake bibingka stand. Freshly baked in a make shift ovens made from used drums and use coconut husk as fuel. All natural, the aroma smells utterly organic and delicious.


Their ingredients of the dish are all primitive using the original recipe of grinded rice and coconut milk, unlike in the city where bibingka is altered with artificial ingredients such as polished flour and food colors.


Selling for P11-15 per piece which enough to fill a ranting tummy, it's all worth the minute stop over.



Bibingka offers me initial feeling of stress free holiday away from the bustling, restless city.




On with my road- food trip comes along the tikoy. I'm sorry but this too has no English word translation. Famous during Chinese New Year in the city, my province (Quezon) has it all year round. Personally, I like Quezon tikoy a lot. Tastier and cremier, this one is ready to eat and no need to cook.



My girls share my craze for this delicacy and a box of it is easily consumed in a matter of minutes.

If bibingka commenced our provincial trips , tikoy is an announcement that we are approaching our destination.

1 comment:

  1. i don't like tikoy sold in chinese shops too.. i like that one from quezon. my mom's friend who's from quezon brings us some when she visits us in manila :D

    ReplyDelete

Ascertain Bliss's Fan Box

My Food Prescription on Foodista